Saturday 10 November 2012

That one time my Dad and I went to Dover by Colleen

After not seeing him for nearly a year, my dad came to visit Jesse and I in October. It was his first trip overseas and I was super duper excited! I made him walk from Earl's Court to Waterloo on his first day, but once there, I finally relented and let him hop on a double-decker bus to Greenwich, where we had dinner. During the week that my dad was visiting, we took a day-trip to the coast to see Dover, it's castle and cliffs, and the English Channel. Though rain threatened to fall, we climbed the big hill and toured all over the ancient castle grounds that have been in use since before the time of the Romans. On the hilltop stands a Roman lighthouse, an 9th century church, a castle and keep built by Henry II (husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine) and WWI and WWII bunkers, lookout posts, tunnels and artillery. From up on the hill, we could see the coastline of Calais in France and the down the Dover coast to the famous white cliffs. It was a great day on the coast, just me and my dad.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment